Solar panels on your garden lights are a great way to light up the area. However, the only disadvantage is that they become dirty over time. You might be wondering if solar lights need to be cleaned and obviously, they can. Learn how to clean solar panels on garden lights.
They are similar to mirrors that collect dirt and other particles from the air. If your solar panel isn’t cleaned on a regular basis, it won’t produce as much power as it would if it was clean, which makes it less efficient.
Some individuals believe that they can simply wait until it rains and then let their solar lights clean themselves, but this isn’t the case. Remove any dirt from the area manually before it has a chance to accumulate. The rain will merely distribute all of the filth around your light instead of removing it, so you must remove it yourself before it becomes too severe and inhibits your panel’s performance.
It takes a constant amount of sunlight to generate enough voltage to charge a battery and you may have to recharge your battery for an extra few days or weeks if your solar lights are really filthy! This article will cover how to clean solar panels on garden lights.
How To Clean Solar Panels On Garden Lights
The following steps will show you how to clean solar panels on garden lights:
Materials Used To Clean Solar Panels On Garden Lights
Steps To Follow When Cleaning Solar Panels On Garden Lights
1. Turn off the power switch to your garden lights before you begin.
2. Use a soft cloth or brush to remove any big pieces of dirt from the surface of the solar panel.
3. Tape around the edges of the solar panel so that you don’t get scratch marks while cleaning.
4. Mix water and detergent together in a bowl and use this solution to wipe down the entire surface of the solar panel.
5. Use the brush to gently remove and scrub any small particles or stubborn dirt from the surface of the solar panel.
6. Rinse the solar panel with clean water and dry it with a towel.
7. If you still see stains and grime then use alcohol to clean the surface of the solar panel if there is any residue left behind.
8. If there is any tough dirt or grime on the solar panel, use sandpaper to gently scrub it away. Be careful not to damage the surface of the panel.
9. Wipe the solar panel down with a clean cloth once you’re finished scrubbing.
10. Once dry, apply a clear coat to the solar panel to protect it from future dirt and grime.
11. Remove the tape from around the edges of the solar panel.
12. Turn on the power switch to your garden lights and enjoy your now clean solar panels!
Why Do Garden Solar Lights Stop Working?
This is not that easy to answer because there can be several reasons why your garden solar lights may have stopped working. One reason might be that the batteries need to be replaced. Another possibility is that the solar panel is not getting enough sunlight to charge the batteries. In such a case, you may need to clean the solar panel and place it in a location where it will get more direct sunlight.
It could also be that the wires have become loose or damaged and need to be repaired. In order to figure out what is wrong, you will need to do some troubleshooting.
Also Read: How to Charge Solar Lights Without Sun
How Long Do Solar Garden Lights Last?
There are vast differences in solar garden lights when it comes to how long they will last. Some models are made with high-quality materials that are designed to withstand the elements and last for many years. Other models might be made with lower-quality materials that are not as durable and might only last for a year or two.
It also depends on how well you take care of your solar garden lights. If you clean them regularly and make sure that the solar panel is in a location where it will get plenty of sunlight, then your lights will last longer. On average, solar garden lights will last 2-5 years.
Also Read: How Do Solar Lights Work
Can You Replace Batteries in Solar Garden Lights?
The batteries in solar garden lights can usually be replaced. However, it is important to note that not all models are designed the same way. Some models might have batteries that are soldered in place and cannot be removed. In such cases, you would need to replace the entire light fixture.
Other models might have batteries that are removable and can be replaced easily. If you are not sure how to replace the batteries in your solar garden lights, consult the owner’s manual or contact the manufacturer.
Keeping your solar garden lights clean is important if you want them to continue to work properly. Solar panels can get dirt and grime build-up just like any other type of outdoor light fixture. By following the steps outlined above, you can easily clean your solar panel and keep your garden lights working like new.
If you liked this article about how to clean solar panels on garden lights, consider checking out these other articles below —