Solar batteries coupled with solar panels provide a wide range of benefits for a home or business. A solar battery allows you to store energy produced from the sun in an environmentally and economically advantageous manner. Discover if this technology is right for you.
How Solar Batteries Work
Solar batteries store energy from a solar system made up of photovoltaic cells. Panels absorb energy from the sun and convert it into electricity. This visible light energy source then passes through an inverter into your home. A battery allows you to store energy produced from these panels to use at a later time. Review these steps for an understanding the process for battery energy storage:
Step 1: Solar power.
An array of solar panels are placed strategically on the roof. The collection process begins when this array absorbs sunlight, which converts visible light into electrical current.
Step 2: Battery charging.
The home will be the primary recipient of the solar power that has been converted. This electricity feeds the central electrical panel and powers all appliances in the house or business. Solar systems often produce more power than the structure needs.
Also Read: NIMH Vs. NICD Batteries
Step 3: DC vs AC charging.
Storage systems protect the structure from power outages and reduce dependence from an electrical grid. Solar panels convert to direct current (DC) electricity. The inverter converts to alternating current (AC), allowing the power to be in a form used by appliances and machinery. Surplus power is fed to the grid and used to charge batteries.
The two main storage systems are centered around the different types of energy low:
AC storage systems. This structure collects energy from both the grid and from solar generation. AC storage provides off-grid supplies as needed, but also allows power to be drawn from other sources. Versatility is the main advantage of AC battery storage systems.
DC storage systems. This alternative design is the more cost-effective system presently on the market. DC batteries are designed without built-in converters. DC storage is limited because it cannot store power from the grid and does not provide protection from grid outages. DC batteries are also more efficient because with conversions, no energy is lost due to heat.
Step 4: Battery Discharging.
Stored energy from either AC or DC batteries is used as needed. Two main reasons for keeping stored energy are:
1. Power outages. Energy will still be accessible in the event of a power failure. The energy is available when it is needed most.
2. Time of Use (TOU) rates. Regulations are now designed to manage the cost structure of usage throughout the day. Within new payment structures, extra energy that is produced midday is less valuable than energy drawn from the grid at night. Solar batteries alleviate peak utility charges in the evening hours.
Considerations for selecting the right type of battery
Choosing the right type of battery is vital to getting the most out of your investment. Consider these main elements for the best selection:
- Battery life and warranty. A battery’s lifespan ranges from five to fifteen years and will continue to expand as technology improves. Warranties for batteries are given in cycles or years (such as 10,000 cycles or ten years). Warranties are honored until the first benchmark is met.
- Power capacity. The characteristic involves the total amount of electricity the battery holds. Keep in mind that solar batteries are often stackable, meaning that multiple battery storage increases overall capacity.
- Depth of discharge (DOD). A DOD ratio measures the percentage that a battery can be utilized as opposed to the maximum capacity. If a battery has less than a full capacity rating, it will need to be charged again at the designated amount.
Benefits of solar energy storage
Solar energy storage benefits everyone. Experience the following advantages:
1. Use more of the electricity you already generate. You are able to use all of the electricity that you generate if you desire. An attainable goal is to operate with renewable energy at all times.
2. Reduce your electricity bills. In a short time, you will see a noticeable decrease in your bills of up to thirty percent.
Also Read: How to Calculate Solar Panel Power Output
3. Make extra money from your energy company. Most electrical companies work on the principle of “net metering.” Earn money by selling stored energy back to the electrical grid when electricity prices are elevated. Also consider allowing individual businesses to use your batteries and pay for the usage.
4. Become energy independent while reducing your carbon footprint. Help the world while you help yourself. End your dependence on the national grid with the right type of battery storage system. Significantly reduce your carbon footprint to clean the air and improve all aspects of the environment.
5. Solar batteries offer a win-win design for your family and the vast community of all living things. Empower your energy consumption by exploring how you can incorporate solar panels and batteries into your home and business.